Date: 2007 – 2008
Rollsense was a recommendation widget for blog and news site networks to increase the traffic within the network and to generate additional revenue by displaying contextual adds. We signed an agreement with Yahoo to get access to their advertisers.
I owned the product vision, strategy and implementation.
The Rollsense widget reached 3 million impressions per month during its first year with a CTR of 3.5%.
The set up consisted of 3 simple steps and only took 5 minutes:
- Add the urls of all the blogs in your network and configure the look and feel of the widget.
- Copy the embed code.
- Paste the embed code wherever you wanted the recommendations to show up.
Ruby on Rails frontend connected to a MySQL database to store user, widget and click tracking information.
The backend consisted of two main components developed in Java:
- An intelligent RSS feed crawler that would adapt to the update frequency of the blog and would analyze articles to extract the most relevant information.
- A very fast search engine based on SOLR that would index the content of all articles and provide recommended articles to readers.
- rollSense: Your Blogroll on Steroids (readwrite.com)
- RollSense, el “AdSense” de los contenidos (genbeta.com)
- RollSense: 2or3things lance un widgets de recommendation de contenu (clubic.com)